Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rebuilding the Orioles - Holding on to Brian Roberts

With both Miguel Tejada and Eric Bedard being traded, speculation was rife that Brian Roberts also would soon be moved, with the likely target being the Cubs. That was in early 2008. Speculation continued off and on throughout over the past year or two. But here we are, nearing Spring Training 2010, and B. is still entrenched at 2nd base and top of the order for the Orioles, with an increasingly promising supporting cast around him. The article below appeared on MLB.com in February 2008.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Brian Roberts has long been regarded as one of the most eloquent players in baseball, an infielder who speaks with the rare polish of a politician.

That diplomacy was tested to its limit Tuesday, when Roberts arrived for Spring Training and addressed the trade rumors swirling around him and whether he'd like to remain with the Orioles.

Roberts made note of the team's rebuilding movement, touching on the twin trades of staff ace Erik Bedard and shortstop Miguel Tejada. After those moves -- and the rumors surrounding him -- he's just not sure how he fits.

"It's just a touchy situation because I love the Orioles," he said. "I've been here since Day 1 and I do want to see this organization win. I've always said that. I made a commitment when I signed my deal.

"But certainly, on the other hand, when you see two of your best players gone [and] a lot of unknowns come in -- very talented I'm sure, but young still nonetheless. The organization essentially has conceded -- not quote unquote -- but we probably won't win for a couple of years. It's hard to swallow at first, but I'm here. Wherever I am Opening Day, I'll do my job."

That much was never in issue, but Roberts still refused to come out and say whether he wanted to be traded or stay with Baltimore until the end of his contract. When asked again -- this time in rather blunt fashion -- Roberts came a little closer to full disclosure and also said that the Orioles have kept him in the loop throughout the process.

"Obviously, everybody wants to win. That's the bottom line," he said. "Fans have to understand. I think anybody would understand in this profession -- that's what we train for, that's what we play for, that's what we're working for. Would it be bittersweet in a lot of ways [to be traded]? Yeah, of course. It would be hard to leave here. It would be weird to leave here. But an opportunity to win in the right situation, I don't think anybody would necessarily argue against it."

The hottest potential destination for Roberts appears to be the Chicago Cubs, who have been involved in rumored trades for the two-time All-Star since the Winter Meetings. The Cubs are also the former team of Andy MacPhail, Baltimore's president of baseball operations. MacPhail said Tuesday that more than one team is in on Roberts.

"I'm not a big one for speculating about names. I don't really like the idea that players have to read their names in the paper," said MacPhail. "To me, there's family issues [and] there's personal issues I'd rather not put them through. If it were up to me that stuff would not become public knowledge. ... You guys do a good job ferreting this stuff out. It is what it is."

Both MacPhail and Roberts agreed on one key point. Roberts has not, to this point, requested a trade.

"He was very careful and respectful not to really voice any trade demand or anything of that nature," said MacPhail of a recent meeting. "He was obviously -- as you can imagine -- curious, and I did my best to fill him in."

"I would never call this organization and say I want to be traded [or] I need to be traded," Roberts said. "I signed a contract. I signed a deal. I understand when I make a commitment, that's what I'm here for. No, I haven't done that. I won't do that. But as I said earlier, you want to win. That's the bottom line."

No comments:

Post a Comment